Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day AKA Armistice Day

Veterans Day began with the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I. It is "a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be thereafter celebrated and known as 'Armistice Day'."

My father, Leon Cummings, served in the Army in World War I and an uncle (my mother's brother, Garnhart Younger) was in the Navy. Both saw action in France. When my uncle returned home after the war he was ill with Tuberculosis. Seeking treatment, he hitchhiked to an Army hospital in Fort Bayard, New Mexico where he died at the age of 24. My dad passed away in 1988 at the age of 94. I still have the American flags that covered their caskets at their funerals.

My half brother, Walker Gorham, served in the Navy in world War II. He died six years ago at age 81. When he passed away, it occurred to me that I was the only one living of the oldest generation of my immediate family. What remains are myself, my three children and four grandchildren.

There is much to remember and cherish of these three men. Although I never knew my uncle, I do have dozens of negatives of photos he took while serving in the Navy. When I have time and know how, I hope to post some of them on this blog.

My dad...well there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him. I was so fortunate to have such loving parents and so many wonderful memories.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Wow, this is very touching, the music is perfect...lovely dedication to your family. Gorgeous photo as well...didn't miss a step:)

Danielle Shinkle said...

I love those photos of grandpa and Uncle Walker too! And, you and Grandma as well. What a great dedication to Grandpa and Uncle Walker, i loved it. I never knew that Grandpa saw action in France. wow! It made me tear up. I miss Grandpa! Beautifully done!!! Love you! Thanks for sharing!

Dan