Thursday, July 9, 2009

Summer Flowers in Big Bear

June in Big Bear, California means thirty days of beautiful weather. Plenty of sunshine, temperatures in the 70s and low 80s and frequent spectacular cloud formations. A mountain paradise just 100 miles from Los Angeles. Beautiful flowers can be found in the forest and in many yards of local residents. Here are a few of my favorites. I've been experimenting with applying textures to many of my images. I love the effect...especially with florals.

This gorgeous Columbine was growing in a neighbor's front yard. While walking through the forest, I came across some more growing wild. The wild ones were much smaller and less spectacular in color but the identical flower just the same.

Don't know what these are, but I loved how the sunlight hit them.

This is a wild rose I came across in the forest. Tiny flowers, not much more than an inch across, they are probably the ancestor of all the spectacular beauties we buy in the nurseries today.

I found these Sweet Peas growing on the fence of a cabin that doesn't appear to have been occupied in years.
Despite neglect, they've managed to thrive on their own.


Another Columbine...it makes me think of some exotic sea creature.

These roses can be found in front yards all over the area.

No idea what these are. Their "petals" seem more like beans.


Fancy Poppies catching the sun.

A field of wildflowers overlooking Big Bear Lake. Isn't this a beautiful scene?
Well, truth be told, there is a large shopping mall right behind where I was standing when I took this photo.

1 comment:

Nia said...

Love to see the pictures of those different kind of summer flowers... Beautiful pictures!!